Welcome to the Dover School Club 2017/2018! We are hoping to get all we need accomplished on a volunteer basis through parent participation. You don’t have to attend the meetings to help or share your opinion! Just email us and we will add your details and information to the proper event (this includes letting us know if you want to volunteer for a committee)! Our email address is Club@doverschool.net .
Upcoming Dates/ Action Items
• Picture Day is Tuesday October 10th. We have all of the volunteers we need for this! Thanks so much for all who offered to help!
• Halloween Festival will be Friday 10/27th Amanda Mola will head up this committee! (Thanks Amanda!) An idea was put out there that we might reserve the Dover Town Hall to have the Trunk or Treat outside in that parking lot, then move inside for the pot-luck supper. (need to check with Town of Dover if the Hall is available this day). The library has traditionally set up a movie for the kids to view that evening. Having the pot-luck next door would allow the parents to converse and clean up while the kids are safely enjoying the movie next door. Nothing has officially been decided on this yet so please provide your feedback! Amanda will organize a meeting or reach out via email to work out the details. So far we have Amanda, Sara, Cordelia, Shira, Dianne and John Guminak dealing with this. Tamara from the library would like to be involved as well.
• The Ski Club is forming! This year, Holly Veno has bravely stepped up to head and organize the ski club. She and Michael Garber will work out the initial planning for ski lessons, parent volunteers, ski snack, potential bus service home, and free ski. We need to review and set up our rules and expectations for this year. We would like to hold our parent information meeting for sign ups and rentals by mid-October. Holly will call a meeting on this shortly. Who wants to join this team? (For those that do not know, the ski program takes place on Thursdays from noon-3pm, dates to be announced shortly)
• Introducing- The Winter Sports program (FOR NON- SKIIERS!) Per the request of parents of non-skiing children, the school will offer an out-door alternative to the ski program. Our first priority is to encourage kids to ski, this program is for children who are extremely adamant that they do not like or want to ski. Mount Snow is putting together a package/ proposal for us to review potential activities that will be offered. We will be sending home a survey to find out how many children will participate. Per the school board, this is considered an out-of-school activity (as is the ski program) therefore must be run and organized by a volunteer. We really need a parent of a non-skiing child to help organize this. Please consider volunteering!
• The Circus is coming to the Dover School! (December 4-8) Dianne Guminak has procured an art grant from the state. She has also applied for another grant from the Rotary. This event will get the kids interested in a different kind of art- movement and expression through circus stunts! A circus artist will come to our school for an entire week working with students to develop their skills. There will be a performance to highlight the skills they’ve learned.
• The grant will cover close to half of the cost but we will probably be asking for a little bit of money per child (with a family cap limit ) and also doing some additional fundraising.
• There is also the potential to raise additional funds for circus equipment to use at the school after this residency (to continue the learning) During the show we can man a booth that the artist has...selling circus equipment to interested families....and we would receive 15% of the sales to use towards equipment for the school. Who would like to help with this?
• Box Top Program Collecting Box Tops can net our school several hundred dollars per year! We are having a contest in each class to see who can save the most for a small incentive (like an ice cream treat one day). Luisa Oakley is organizing this program. Please send in your box tops to class with your child.
Other items that are on the horizon later this year… Giving Tree (Christmas time), School Dance (spring), Joyful Noise (Spring), Field day (End of year), Art Day, Grandparents Day, Teacher Appreciation Day